Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Project 1: Making a three-dimensional contour line drawing out of aluminum wire

Design I is flat. Design II is the first 3D art class most art students take at UNT, so James Thurman started us out with a wire sculpture.

Assignment: Create a wire hand holding an object. No "sausage fingers," no unintentional lines. Aim for a three-dimensional contour line drawing.

Prep work: Contour line drawings of our hands holding different objects and of a rock from different angles.
Create a wire sculpture of that rock from my contour line drawings.
Create a wire sculpture of my hand holding an object, based on a series of final planning contours.

My process: I fell in love with a sculpture of an Alexandrian dancer in the Met Museum gift shop years ago. It's designed to make you walk around it; the dancer herself is twisted, and you feel like you're not seeing a complete picture if you only view it from one angle.

I get to choose my hand's pose and the object I'm holding. What actions or objects create specific hand gestures?

Project 1 Brainstorming: wire sculpture of a hand holding an object

Activities with unique hand gestures:
    • Castanets (create a twisted hand pose)
    • Hula dancing
    • finger tutting or gloving
    • Bollywood dancing
    • Thai dancing
    • Sign language
    • Bowling
    • Knitting
    • Hands molding clay
    • Throwing stones (judgement)
    • Breaking garlic, slicing an onion (the roots would be fun in wire)

No comments:

Post a Comment